Antifreeze is often used as a quick solution through out the winter months. However, did you know the antifreeze is highly toxic to cats?
All animals (including humans) are susceptible to ethylene glycol poisoning, but cats are more susceptible due to differences in their metabolism.
This means that the smallest amount, can be fatal. It is therefore important to take care when using antifreeze, do not add anti freeze into garden water features or ponds.
Keep antifreeze clearly labelled and stored safely ideally in robust, sealed containers. Clean up any spills, and always dispose of antifreeze safely and responsibly.
Signs of antifreeze poisoning:
- Increased urination
- Abnormally fast heartbeat
If your pet shows any signs take them to your local vets immediately. The smallest amount on a cats paw that they then lick can be fatal. The sooner they receive treatment, the better their chances of survival.
This article was taken from our January 2020 newsletter, which also contains general pet care tips throughout winter and advice on keeping outdoor rabbits cold. You can read the full newsletter here.